Thursday, December 2, 2010

Wood Floors, Turkey, and an Independent Living Complex

Hello All.  Hope your holiday was fabulous.

This has been a looong week.  We found a new investigator with whom we have taught two lessons and who came to church yesterday.  He seemed to enjoy it, though he arrived forty-five minutes late and was more or less confused throughout the Sunday School lesson on temples.  He wants to quit smoking and agreed to a baptismal date early in January.  He has a long way to go, but I think if things continue as they are going now, he will surely succeed in being baptized.  You don't realize how much goes on in church that would be confusing to someone new-- terms and vocabulary (quorum, relief society, Rameumptom, etc), topics of discussion (home teaching, etc).  We answered a lot of questions.  On the other hand, we just got a call from a nice woman we've met with a few times--and with whom things seemed to be going really well--saying that she is no longer interested in meeting with us.  Ups and downs.

We had the chance to help a family in our ward pack up most of their heavy furniture into a U-Haul.  We also helped to set up decorations at the Iris Place, a large complex for independent living.  We have been visiting an older woman who is a member of the Church who just recently moved there from across Atlanta.  She is lonely, but we were able to get her a ride to church yesterday and introduce her to her new ward.  She found some people she knew from when she used to live in Athens about 40ish years ago.  It was really neat to see her enjoying herself. 

We went on exchanges with the Elders in Elberton, Georgia and Washington, Georgia.  These towns are tiny.  Tiny.  They are both about forty minutes from Athens, which is about an hour from Atlanta, so they are not even technically suburbs.  Just blips.  We worked with the Elders there and stayed the night in Washington.  The apartment they have there is actually above a flower shop called Miss Fancy Plants.  That name made me laugh.  A lot.  I took a picture of myself by the sign.  We had to sleep on their hardwood floors.  Not comfy.  Both towns were quaint, historic, and interesting.  However, a good percentage of the residents living in both areas are in very poor living conditions.  I visited some folks in extremely humble circumstances including one man who just got electricity in his mobile home again after over a year since losing his job.  He just received a disability check which allowed him to afford electricity.  I am doubly grateful for my blessings now as well as grateful to be working in Athens.

We have been "kicked out" of several neighborhoods.  One angry person just puts their foot down and demands we leave and then follows us to our car.  The pattern is remarkably uniform.  Usually someone comes out and tells us that there have been a lot of break-ins in the last few weeks in their neighborhood and they don't want strangers walking around.  People get mad at us for soliciting too, although--despite our admittedly similar work--we are doing ANYTHING but soliciting.  Some folks just aren't very friendly.  The sad thing is, before we are forced out we find others who are open to our message.  Oh well, it makes things exciting.

Thanksgiving was okay.  I chose not to participate in the Turkey Bowl that the two wards in Athens put on.  Pretty much all of the missionaries participated except Elder Mortenson and I.  He passed his kidney stone the evening of Thanksgiving you see.  I had a premonition of being injured and being kept from Brasil if my visa came, so I played it safe.  Then we ate Thanksgiving with three different families in the ward.  It was a little awkward, and the food was not all delicious.  However, I was fortunate.  The foods were pretty traditional.  I started eating what they called green bean casserole and was surprised that I liked it until with horror I spotted a piece of mushroom in it and realized that green bean casserole is made with cream of mushroom soup.  Of course I finished it, but it wasn't as yummy after that.  We had some good conversations with different people.  One sadness, though! There were no candied yams!  And no one served corn of any kind!  Lamentations!

On Saturday night was the final football game for the University of Georgia.  All the Athens missionaries got together nearby the stadium because we are discouraged from contacting people during the game.  I must explain.  These people are obsessed with their football.  All across the city and in most of the surrounding areas well over 50 percent of homes have little ceramic bulldogs with red shirts.  That is the Georgia mascot, you see.  Few if any are interested, and many are annoyed when we try to work during the games.  So anyway, we were on a road on the west side of the stadium and we could almost see in.  We got to see the football shoot up into the air on kickoffs and such.  The game was against their rival Georgia Tech from Atlanta, so the fans were out in force.  It was neat.  We took pictures and when we left the score was 14-0 Georgia but I understand that although Georgia ended up winning, it was a close call.

We got to teach early morning seminary this morning.  That was an...interesting experience.  After their opening song and prayer we only had to teach for thirty minutes.  It was hard to teach very drowsy teens who are just so thrilled to be back at the grind after a whole week off.  We made them close their eyes and hold out their hands.  We smeared peanut butter over each person's hand.  This was an object lesson for forgiveness and sin.  I would be interested to hear what they report to their teacher when he gets back into town.
I am not disappointed to be in Georgia.  I am enjoying things here most of the time.  I am happy to feel cool temperatures, have hot showers, and understand the language 100% (except when you are talking to someone in an independent living complex and their top teeth literally fall out, yes this happened to me) for as long as I can.  My companions are still nice.  I am excited to go to Brasil eventually, but for now I am content. 

I love your letters!  They always make me super happy!  I appreciate those of you who take that effort on my behalf!  I am in the process of writing back to everyone! 

Have a lovely week,
Elder JOSHUA BODILY

No comments:

Post a Comment