This week was that of transfers. Neither of us here got transferred. Elder Wilson is starting his fifth transfer here in Serra-Sede. He will have seven months here at the end of the next transfer. That is a TON! Everyone thought he was leaving this transfer.
We have a baptism lined up for this Saturday. His name is Inácio. He is a very humble but savvy man of about fifty years. He can barely read at all. Basically nothing. He can only write his first name. Yet, he astonishes us with his spirituality. He stopped smoking in one day, a habit he has had since forever. He also gave up coffee the same day, a huge hurdle for a Brazilian. He has been in many churches that haven´t allowed him to be baptized because he cannot read the Bible. Darli, another investigator of Inácio befriended him at church and is making visits in his house helping him learn the basics of writing and reading. He is ready and filled with almost childlike excitement to be baptized. He is awesome.
One man got really mad at me this week when I tried to contact him on the street. It is really hard to keep contacting and talking to people when every bit of my shy self doesn´t want to, and the people we are talking to all too often would prefer we let them be. But I also know that this is about more than just shyness and inconvenience for 30 seconds on the street. This is about a lot more.
This week I read Our Heritage, a brief history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I felt the Spirit testifying of the divinity of this work as I finished the book. The truth of God is going forth nobly, boldly, and independent. There is no greater joy than in service to Him and His kingdom.
Tchau,
ELDER JOSHUA BODILY
No comments:
Post a Comment