Sunday, July 17, 2011

Batismo de Elias and Other Adventures

Everyone,

It has been an eventful week. First of all, on Monday night last week my companion was playing with my camera. And somehow he managed to delete over 100 photos that I had not yet copied to my pen drive. They are gone forever. Pictures with Elder Wilson, here in the area of Serra-Sede, with investigators, and even several from my days in Vitória. I will not try to express how distressing I find this.

We baptized Elias yesterday. It was the only baptism in the Vitória Zone. Every zone in the mission baptized at least one person, a first since I arrived on the mission. He gave us a scare because he did not show up at the bus stop at which we pick people up in the van that goes straight to the church. We had to go to the front of his house. All the members and investigators in the van, waiting in front of his house. His sister said he went to the doctor. Stress! But then he emerged and said ´´No! My appointment with the doctor is tomorrow! I just woke up late.´´ What a scare. I would have sent pictures, but Elder Salvador´s memory card doesn´t fit in my converter. It will have to wait. The baptism was simple, small, with few in attendance, but it was special.

Nothing happens in Brazil on the 4th of July. Figures. Not even one firework. The first time in my life that that has happened.

Elder Salvador´s shoes make a gentle click-clacking sound on the cobblestone sidewalks. It´s not like a high-heel clack, just a gentle sound. It reminds me of the Wii Fit. The gentle sound of footsteps that aren´t exactly in time with your own steps.

I have decided that the words of the hymn Come, Come Ye Saints applies perfectly as the theme song for my mission. Especially the second and fourth verses.

Two investigators pleaded with me to say the closing prayer of our lesson in English. Finally, after they pestered me enough, I agreed. I am not lying to you, it didn´t work out very well. I kept starting to say things in guess which language. We learned to pray in Portuguese on the first day in the MTC, and I haven´t prayed out loud in English for a very very very long time. Many months. I actually ended up finishing the prayer in Portuguese. It doesn´t help that Elder Salvador doesn´t speak a lick of English. I taught him to say ´´How do you say...´´ and ´´How are you?´´ and ´´Good morning.´´ Also, he continues to learn basic vocabulary. He told me that he has a speech impediment, which explains even more why his Portuguese is a little different and sometimes hard to understand.

A crazy woman who is sadly addicted to a multitude of drugs came up to us downtown and said ´´Someone told me you are demons. Who are you? Are you demons?´´ We just said we are missionaries, and kept walking because she was not sober. The thing is, we have already talked to her before and invited her to church. Later the same day, she was on the other side of the street but ran across the street in front of us screaming ´´Who are you? Are you demons? Give me a straight answer!!´´ We just kept walking. It was sad slash funny.

It has been deliciously cool these past fews days. A lot of people here are using sweaters and complaining of the cold. ´´Cold´´. Seriously, it´s like a joke. It is not cold at all. Even if I try to feel cold, I don´t. I just look at them and think, if I did 20 jumping jacks right here, I would start to sweat. Silly Capixabas. (Capixaba=person native to Espírito Santo, pronounced coppy-SHAW-buh).

We had interviews with President Araújo in Jardim da Penha on Friday. I took pictures of the chapel and the neat indoor garden that is there.

Elder Salvador was fed for the first time Oreos and macaroni and cheese by his generous companion. He liked both very much. He is now a fan of ´´things of Americans´´.

He taught me how to make popcorn on the stove, which I have been making frequently now. What a delicious blessing! I thought I would have to go without for all this time.

I ate a delicious bowl of ice cream at lunch on Saturday that tasted like chocolate cake batter. Wonderful.

Edineia and Reginaldo are going to get married on Wednesday!! After all this stress and indecision, it is official. They are going to tie the knot, and then we can truly work towards helping them to be baptized. Joy!

A large group of members left last night on chartered buses to the temple in Campinas. They will stay there until Friday. I was jealous. It is a 12-17 hour bus ride between here and São Paulo, depending on traffic while passing through Rio de Janeiro.

If you have a spot of spare time this week, write me a letter! ;)

Have a good week,
Elder Joshua Bodily

No comments:

Post a Comment